Reciprocal Teaching Agreements Between States

Certification requirements vary considerably from state to state; However, most states, the District of Columbia, Guam and Puerto Rico, have signed an agreement called the Interstate Contract for Teacher Certification. Yet Koch, the former superintendent of Illinois, thinks a national solution is a long way: „It`s not because of state sovereignty. This agreement stipulates that the „Receive” status authorizes the holder of the incoming certificate to legally inform the receiving state, provided that the license issued by the „Send” status is valid. However, Member States can request additional certification requirements. If you want to move to another state and continue teaching, you must follow the licensing procedures of that state. A good source for verifying all state teaching licensing requirements is the Testing Educational Service PRAXIS website. The researchers warn against general restrictions on out-of-state teachers: „Blunt policy instruments, such as the abolition of mutual certification, which can block many highly effective non-state teachers and lead to other problems with teachers, are not effective responses.” The re-education of teacher certification can be a complex subject that requires a thorough study of the policy of the states in which you wish to teach. For the most part, reciprocity is an agreement between states to recognize teaching certificates issued by each other. For example, New York could enter into an agreement with California, in which it accepts teachers with certification certificates issued by California so that certified teachers in California can teach in New York, although they have additional criteria.

Remember: The requirements to become a teacher vary from state to state and get a license, you must meet the requirements of the state where you want to teach. However, many countries participate in reciprocity agreements in education and accept your teaching certificates when they are issued in another state. License relapse – the ability to exercise your vocation in one state on the basis of certification in another state – has different meanings for different occupations. For teachers, the reciprocity of the license does not mean that you can automatically transfer your existing certificate from one state to another and start teaching. Some legal systems consider themselves to be „total reciprocity” and have no additional requirements. However, many jurisdictions require additional requirements for educators in other states or jurisdictions. These are called Jurisdiction Specific Requirements (JSRs). The educator may need to take JSRs such as course work, evaluations or teaching experience before obtaining a full professional certificate in a new state. JSRs can often depend on the long experience of the teacher. Countries participating in the NASDTEC agreement generally follow the same rules for the recognition of non-governmental learning licences, but each state has specific requirements to meet before they can teach there. State certifications and teaching licenses vary considerably from state to state.

The receptiveness of teacher licenses allows applicants with non-governmental registration information to obtain a correct certification after meeting the specific requirements of the status. These differences in the categories of state-defined licenses for specialized teachers mean that those who wish to change states may have to follow a number of different classes to meet the requirements of the new state.

Bez kategorii